We hope you and your family and friends are enjoying this holiday period and finding some relief and relaxation. We will all be happy to see 2020 come to an end. But we know that the immense challenges we have faced over the past year will not come to an end when the calendar ushers in 2021.
Our coordinated actions on August 3 and September 30 helped stop many school districts from prematurely starting in-person learning. As 2021 begins, we will face renewed pressure to reopen schools. In fact, President-elect Biden has said that he hopes to reopen schools within the first 100 days of his administration. To ensure that our schools open safely and equitably, and that our communities have the support and resources necessary for students to learn and thrive, we need to continue to Organize Together across the country. See the promotional video for our Day of Resistance here.
On January 12, in more than 25 towns and cities, teacher unions and community organizations will organize public actions demanding
Safety and Equity in our Schools
- Provide adequate PPE, testing and vaccines for all students, families and staff.
- Replace police in schools with staff for the pandemic and beyond like social workers, counselors, nurses and restorative justice coordinators.
- Fully fund Title I and IDEA to address racial and economic inequities.
Safety & Equity in our Communities
- Cancel rent and foreclosures so our students do not have to fear eviction.
- Provide unemployment and income benefits for all so our students do not go hungry.
- Tax the rich to provide economic support for states and cities so public services that our students depend on are expanded.
Please check out the flyer for January 12 at demandsafeschools.org.
Sign up your city for an action here and write back to us to let us know what you are up against and what you are planning for January 12. As an example, see the AQE event
Demand Safe Schools Coalition